Throughout my legal career, I have served as a leader on many non-profit boards. This first-hand experience has deepened my understanding of the unique challenges faced by non-profits, and has given me insight into how to solve problems and keep things running smoothly. Since most non-profits are on a tight budget, I have a special reduced non-profit fee structure so that I can provide cost-effective legal advice and guidance.
Many people don’t realize that non-profits have to comply with different rules and organizational requirements. I can help form non-profits, and help them obtain tax exempt status. I have also formed many non-profit homeowners associations and condominium association in both North Carolina and South Carolina and can help streamline that process.
Here are some of the things I do for my non-profit clients:
- Form non-profit corporations in North Carolina and South Carolina
- Prepare applications for federal tax exempt status
- Prepare applications for charitable solicitation licenses
- Prepare bylaws
- Prepare board of directors policies and procedures
- Help boards prepare for their annual meetings or strategic planning sessions
- Provide advice on meeting minutes and charitable organization compliance issues
- Provide practical advice on governance questions
- Handle mergers and dissolutions