My work in the community goes hand in hand with my law practice. I believe that lawyers have an ethical obligation to use our talents and resources to give back to the communities in which we live and work through a combination of community and pro bono service. I currently fulfill my pro bono obligations as an attorney coach for a local high school mock trial team as part of South Carolina Bar’s Law Related Education program. I also feel blessed to be involved with so many non-profit organizations that are tackling important social and environmental issues. I volunteer my time as an active and engaged member of the wonderful non-profits listed below.
U. S. Green Building Council North Carolina Chapter: North Carolina Chapter was formerly known as Charlotte Region Chapter prior to 1/1/13. Member, LEED® AP (2009-present); Programs and Education Committee (2009-2012); Board of Directors of Charlotte Chapter (2011-12); Vice-Chair of the Board, Chair of General Circle, and Chair of Strategic Planning Committee (2011); Chair (2012); Board of Directors of North Carolina Chapter (2013-14); Secretary (2013); Southeast Regional Committee Representative (2013); USGBC Southeast Representative (2014); Green Gala Steering Committee (2012-present); Mentor (2013).
U. S. Green Building Council: National Member Company (2010-present); Chapter Steering Committee – Development Seat (2014-2016); Capacity Building Grant Committee (2014); Greenbuild Education Session Reviewer (2013-2014); Greenbuild attendee (2011-present)
CREW (Commercial Real Estate Women) Network (industry trade association with over 9000 members in 71 chapters in US and Canada): Member (1997-present); National Delegate, (2003-2004); Awards Committee (2003-2004); Nominating Committee (2004); Industry Research Task Force (2005); Chair, Member Education Committee (2006-2007); Audit Committee (2011); Chapter Communications Task Force (2012); Chair, Scholarship Selection Committee (2013); Scholarship Selection Committee (2014)
CREW Network Foundation: Trustee (2008-2009); Co-Chair, CREW Careers Committee (2007); Co-Chair, Career Outreach Committee (2008); Donor Development Committee (2008-2009); Chapter Champion (2008-2010)
CREW Charlotte: President (2005); Board Member (2001-2006); Co-Chair, CREW Careers (2006-2007); Past Presidents Council (2006-present); CREW Carolinas Connection Program Chair (2012); Ambassador (2010-present); Mentor (2013-present); Member (1997-present)
Leadership Programs: Leadership South Carolina (1999); Leadership York County (1998); The Leadership, sponsored by the Greater Baltimore Committee (1995)
Greater Charlotte Apartment Association: Green Committee (2009-2011)
National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO Charlotte): Member (2010-12); Award Selection Committee (2011)
Bar Associations: American Bar Association; North Carolina Bar Association; North Carolina State Bar; South Carolina Bar Association; South Carolina Women’s Bar Association.
Chamber of Commerce: Charlotte Chamber of Commerce; Charlotte Latin American Chamber of Commerce.
- Habitat Charlotte Board of Directors (2004-2009), Secretary (2006-2008); Vice-President (2009); Strategic Planning Committee (2008-2009); Chair, Nominating Committee (2008-2009); Member, Nominating Committee (2010-present); Women Build participant and fundraiser (2002-present); substantial pro bono work (2003-present)
- Nation Ford Band Boosters Club (2007-2011) Member and Fundraiser
- Charlotte Film & Video Festival, Steering Committee (1997-1998)
- Toastmasters (1989-91), Administrative Vice President (1991)
- Central YMCA Women’s Health Center Committee Chair (1990-1991), Facilities Development Committee (1991)
- Springfest (1987-1991) and Jazz Charlotte (1990-1993)
- North Carolina Special Olympics (1989-1990)
- Our Lady of Consolation Catholic Church, pianist (1986-91; 1997-present); Finance Committee (1987-1989)
- Chaired United Way Campaign for The Maryland Commercial Insurance Group (1995)
- Maryland Special Olympics, Board of Directors and Secretary (1992-1997)
- Baltimore Film Forum, President, Board of Directors (1994-1995)
- Charlotte School of Law, Adjunct Assistant Professor, 2009-2010 academic year
- Nation Ford High School Mock Trial Team – Attorney Coach, 2009 to 2013
- York Preparatory Academy Mock Trial Team – Attorney Coach (2013-present)
- SC Bar Pro Bono Honor Roll (2010-2014)
- “The Athena Principles of Leadership,” ATHENA International Charlotte Chapter, Charlotte, NC, May, 2014.
- “The Best of Greenbuild 2013,” USGBC NC Chapter, Charlotte, NC, December, 2013.
- “Best Practices in Strategic Planning,” SERC GearUp Conference, Birmingham, AL, April, 2013.
- “Perspectives on Greenbuild 2012,” USGBC Charlotte Region Chapter, Charlotte, NC, December, 2012.
- “The Ultimate Power Lunch,” Women’s Impact Fund, Charlotte, NC, April, 2012.
- “Emerging Practice Areas,” Charlotte School of Law, Charlotte, NC, April 2012.
- “Green Jeopardy,” USGBC Charlotte Region Chapter, Charlotte, NC, November 2010.
- “Climate Action and Sustainability – Local Government Case Studies,” Sixth Annual Sustainable Energy Conference, Raleigh, NC, April 2009.
- “CREW Careers: The Next Generation,” 2008 CREW Network Convention, Houston, TX, October 2008.
- “Perils, Pitfalls and Payoffs: Navigating the Interstate Land Sales Full Disclosure Act,” South Carolina Bar Association, Commercial Real Estate CLE, Columbia, SC, December 2007.
- “CREW Careers: This Old Building – A Model for Adaptive Reuse,” 2007 CREW Network Convention, Denver, CO, October 2007.
- “Further on Up the Road – The Interstate Land Sales Full Disclosure Act,” North Carolina Bar Association Real Property Section Annual Meeting, New Bern, NC, April 2007.
- “CREW Careers: This Old Building,” CREW Charlotte, Charlotte, NC, March 2007.
- “Condomania,” CREW Charlotte, Charlotte, NC, October 2006.
- “CREW Careers: Building Opportunities®,” CREW Charlotte, Charlotte, NC, March 2006.
- “Demystifying Resort Real Estate,” 2005 CREW Network Convention, Seattle, WA, October 2005.